- First meeting results in drafting of integrated vision and mission statements
- Integration to apply at national level with only one National Federation per country
- Obstacle sport categories to be incorporated into UIPM Sports Pyramid
The Ad-hoc Working Group charged with formalising the integration of the Federation Internationale de Sports d’Obstacles (FISO) into the Union Internationale de Pentathlon Moderne (UIPM) has met for the first time.
Chaired by UIPM President Dr Klaus Schormann, the seven-strong group met on November 17 and 18 and agreed on an integrated vision and mission statement for the expanded International Federation. The meeting proved to be harmonious and established a productive and positive environment for the integration and future of the sports.
The group also agreed on five principles of the integration, based on the signing of a Memorandum of Understanding in Bath (GBR) in August, namely:
- The world governing body of Obstacle sport will be UIPM
- There will be only one National Federation per country recognised by the respective National Olympic Committee and under UIPM jurisdiction
- FISO representatives will work with their current member National Federations on supporting the integration process
- FISO will have representation within UIPM
- The three current Obstacle sport categories – Ninja, Obstacle Course Racing (OCR) and Adventure Racing – will be incorporated into the UIPM Sports Pyramid.
All of the above recommendations will be referred to the UIPM Executive Board and FISO Central Board for approval before actions can be formally initiated.
The working group, announced on September 19, is composed of the following Modern Pentathlon and Obstacle sport leaders:
- Dr Klaus Schormann, UIPM President
- Joel Bouzou OLY, UIPM Vice President
- Shiny Fang, UIPM Secretary General
- Rob Stull OLY, NORCECA Modern Pentathlon Confederation President
- Ian Adamson, FISO Founding President
- Alberto Agra, Asia-Pacific Obstacle Sports Federation President
- Panna Utpaul, Pan American Obstacle Sports Federation President